Tuesday, January 27, 2009

time after time

THE SHUTTER SPEED.
I know how a fast or slow shutter speed affects an image. This is something that was always in the back of my mind. Before this class, I took pictures only in the program mode. I figured...my camera is smart, it will adjust everything for me, all I have to do is adjust the ISO. Yes, I am lazy--lazy enough to not read my camera instructional manual and too lazy to use the manual setting. I was just too excited that I got my DSLR for Christmas that I threw the manual aside and took pictures with no structure, all spontaneity.

Using a fast shutter speed, 1/4000 of a second to 1 second, freezes the motion of a fast-moving subject. It will capture every droplet of a waterfall. A slow shutter speed, while using a steady hand or tripod, will blur the subject to give the impression of motion. It is best to use a slow shutter speed on moving cars at night. Some of my favorite pictures that pertained to long exposures are of cars on a highway in metro Shanghai and, of course, New York bustling streets. In fact, when I was in NYC last summer I tried to capture cars on 34th, but my pictures didn't turn out as well as I had hoped (well, okay because I never read my manual and didn't quite know how to control my camera).

Here are my images for this project regarding shutter speed and motion:This image was taken from a moving car. I stuck my hands out of the window and snapped. It was also very windy outside, so the tree swayed a bit. I love the colors in the image. However, I don't like the two bright lights in the lower corners of the image.

This photo is *okay* in my eyes. It was very windy and cold outside that made it hard to focus just on the pinata. Professor Morales noted that the background is too distracting and could have been blurrier, which I can always manipulate via photoshop.

I really, really like this picture. The composition is eye-catching. I took the image from below. But Professor Morales noted that the colors, like the previous image, in the background are too distracting. Now that I look at this image more, I do agree. I just wish it weren't so windy that my camera could focus on the pinata only.

This image was taken via 1/125 second shutter speed. All the long exposure images were extremely blurry. I thought the colors looked too neutral (aka boring!), therefore, this picture looks 10x's better in black & white. I like the composition--although yes it's not perfect, I like how my friend is in mid-air and her legs are cropped off.

I am very happy with the way this picture came out. The colors are vibrant and beautiful. Her hands are in focus. No distractions in the background. "An 'A' image!"

1 comment:

  1. Shutter speed is tricky. I still sometimes have problems with it too.

    The top image I have to say is not my favorite. The colors are nice, but there isn't much about it that makes it special. The colors are however fun.
    I think I am just confused about this image. Where you trying to catch the movement of the tree so you can see the streaks of light? I think the thing is that you were in a car that was probably moving and even the best photographer would have trouble taking a photograph like this at night with out a tripod. I would say that if you wanted to improve upon this image, use a tripod, frame your subject (leaving out the 2 lights or whatever in the corner like you said) and leave open the shutter for maybe 10 seconds or so and see what happens. Just play around with the shutter speed. Maybe even go to 20 seconds? IF their is wind you will be able to see a lot move movement in the lights than what we are seeing here.

    I think the movement in the pinata is awesome, however I agree with your Prof about the background colors being too distracting.

    I agree that the third one would be better in B&W. It is a little mono-toned and flat.

    I love the colors on the last one! Her hands could be a little more in focus (if that was what you were going for), but overall I think this is your best image. What was your light source in this photo? just curious...

    I hope I helped out a little bit Lin! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete