Tuesday, January 27, 2009

a good start

My name is Lin, and I am taking a beginner's digital photography class. This blog will be a compilation for my mid/end-semester portfolio. It will consist of my random thoughts about photography, anecdotes of what I learned on a particular day, conversations I had with my professor and friends regarding my images or photography in general, and my photos taken for class.

1 comment:

  1. Okay Lin...so I'm going to try my hardest give you some constructive feed back. As I said in my FB note, I'm not very good at it...but I'll try.

    As far a technicalities go, this photo is far nice. It shows good shallow depth of field. You must have taken it at a low f-stop.. probably f2.8 or f5.6 (around there). The only thing I could think that would help you learn from this photo is to beware of your background. Even though it is blurred or softened slightly (and this goes for any type of image... portraits, still life, street, abstract, etc.) you don't want anything in the background to take away from your subject. In this image your subject (however nicely sharp) is very close to the same color of the background, hence making your subject kind of blend into the background, which is probably not what you were going for. I like the little purple specs though. Just the fact that I'm not sure what it is makes it interesting.

    ReplyDelete