Wednesday, February 18, 2009

ways and means

I never really realized that San Antonio has some cool places to take pictures at. Of course, there are always antique shops and those quirky stores around, but I didn't expect to see "hip" places here. Over the weekend, my friend and I drove around San Antonio. We stopped by Josephine St., the Pearl Brewery district. This place reminds me a lot of Portland. There is an Aveda Institute (cheap haircuts!), a restaurant that offers locally grown food--Farm to Table, a yoga studio, and a few abandoned buildings that are apparently going to be transformed into lofts and other 'green' businesses.Afterwards, I had plans of going to an antique store. However, I forgot to print out antique shops near school so I just texted Google (convenient!). The robot, or computer whatever, immediately texted back with three antique stores. One in Olmos Park, which we were headed to. It was closed :/ So, we started to drive towards Broadway to another shop, but there was an antique store right when we turned onto Broadway. Next door to Main Place for Antiques is a bead store that sells ethnic goods as well. There were beautiful Indian/Hindu sculptures of gods, African masks, Oceanic figurines, and of course a diverse collection of colorful beads.
I have an affinity for old things...well as long as they aren't too dusty and have a musky smell. I always love browsing through Good Will/thrift stores and antique/vintage shops. Main Place for Antiques on Broadway sells antique goods from all over the world. There are Japanese porcelain plates, Tiffany lamps, beautiful gold bracelets, first edition books...

I am in love with this bracelet. I didn't dare to look at the price tag, otherwise I probably would have bought it!

while my guitar gently weeps

No comments:

Post a Comment